A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Hatfield Poly-instrumentalists

I would generally say that I am too old for music festivals. They combine crowds, camping and mud in a way that does not make them attractive to me. If they are your bag, then great, but not any more.

However, on Sunday I overcame my prejudices and went to Folk by the Oak, at Hatfield House, in Hertfordshire. I thought you might like to see my review.

I usually associate Hatfield with three things - the annoying boys-only pint-swilling college at Durham Uni,  the Poly, and ("and the North" - the band, not the road sign). I realise none of these things exist any more in that form, but I am a child of my time.

But Hatfield is also the location of the Tudor house where Elizabeth I grew up - which sits in rolling landscape about five minutes from the station. (The fact I could get back in an hour to Balham on public transport also gave this festival a big plus for me when I considered it!)

This is a 'one field' festival - very little traipsing required. A main stage and a small covered "Acorn" stage (see what they did there?), with beer, food etc all to hand. Very much a family feel - entirely safe etc.

I think they said over the PA that attendance was about 6,000, and it didn't feel overly packed out at that - plenty of room to sit watching the main stage and picnic, which is how we spend the afternoon session.

I'm not going to give you chapter and verse on all the acts, there is a list on their website above. I was going to focus on the stuff that had brought me to the venue. I would say thought that Kathryn Tickell and her new band (the Side) were excellent. Infectiously catchy and danceable as ever.

And I would also highlight from my visit to the Acorn stage (it was raining and there was cover there) that the Keston Cobblers Club is a fabulous act. Talented multi-instrumentalists, good songs, clear (well I though so) Mumfords and Bellowhead influences, and a tuba. You should see them if you can.

But the main reason for going was to see Richard Thompson performing a solo acoustic set. If you don't know Thompson's work, where have you been? Guitarist and writer in Fairport Convention, at the end of the 60's, and since then a successful act, firstly in a duo with his wife and latterly solo. He was voted one of the top 20 guitarists of all time by Rolling Stone, though he is as far away from the smooth "Clapton-style" of rock guitar as it is possible to be whilst still actually being a guitarist.

And? Just wow! A string of songs well known to the crowd (I jotted down a set list on the go and have stuck it at the bottom if you care - sorry for any inaccuracies). Mostly pretty faithful to his originals. Interspersed with a pretty deadpan, self-deprecating chat which shows the benefit of years of gigging.

It is hard when you listen to Thompson on disc to believe that there is only one guitarist there. You would swear there were three of them, given his ability to play a bass/rhythm line and lead at one time. Oh, and sing as well. This is a man who you just know could pat his head and rub his stomach at the same time with ease, and before breakfast at that. Stand-out track for me is (and will always be) 1952 Vincent Black Lightning. This song combines spellbinding guitar work with a tragic love story about a bad boy and his girl, and his motor bike. "And he gave her one last kiss and died. And he gave her his Vincent to ride". But the slower numbers like Beeswing (Beeswax, as someone next to us in the crowd called it) showed a subtle beauty to match it.

Thompson isn't doing many shows in the UK this year - but does have a new acoustic album out. If you can't see him, listen to him - he will brighten any day.

And the closing act of the festival was singer/songwriter/violinist Seth Lakeman. About half our group was very keen to be up at the front for this one - they find Seth's arms very attractively muscular. (That's what you get with all that fiddling I suppose.) I know Lakeman's work quite well - and have always thought it OK, but a bit samey - a fast song and a slow song and not much other variation. Catchy, but not really for me.

But live, he is a different proposition. This is a serious band of musicians. Pretty stripped back - just Seth plus four, but real talent from everyone. His female co-vocalist (Lisbee Stainton) added real musical colour, and blended beautifully with Lakeman's voice. And the energy in the performance was astonishing, throughout the band. I will need to listen again to the records, either I have taken them too lightly and dismissed him as talentless because of his folk 'poster-boy' status, or perhaps recordings just don't capture the performance well enough - they don't get the energy.

Oh, and for myself, I didn't see what the fuss is all about concerning his arms. I suspect that's a 'girl' thing.

So - Folk by the Oak - under £40, and a very worthwhile day. Come along next year.

___________
RT setlist (E&oE) with a link to Vincent Black Lightning if you are itnerested.

When the Spell is Broken, Walking on a Wire, Valerie, Saving the Good Stuff, Johnny’s Far Away, Pharaoh, Vincent Black Lightning, Who Knows Where The Time Goes?, I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight, Between You and Me (a work in progress – letters during WWI), Good Things Happen to Bad People, Beeswing, Wall of Death, Down Where the Drunkards, One Door Opens, Tear-stained Letter.








No comments:

Post a Comment