A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Saturday 20 September 2014

Standing at a crossroads

I think it took until Thursday night for me to come down from my post-Kate Bush blissed-out state, but that was only because I was having a fairly major work nightmare – and not of the sleeping kind. Not going to go into detail but it brought me crashing back to earth. Shame, because I was having a lovely night, too.

I tried with some success to rekindle the feeling this morning. In my review I suggested KB’s voice was as good as it had been when she first recorded Hounds of Love. I’ve changed my mind on re-listening – it’s better. It had a depth and control on Wednesday beyond that on the recording.
But that’s enough KB – except to say I feel so privileged to have seen her.

Today, as well as my usual walk and gym trips I went to see a free concert in my local (100 yds away) church – St Mary’s. This was the Metier Ensemble – a young trio (piano cello and flute) who were excellent. It’s a bit of a shame only 50 people were there – the concert deserved better than that.

And then tonight I've been timekeeping at a swimming gala, at the new Streatham Pool. A facility where it seems they have tried to save money by making the swimming pool double as a sauna. Too darn hot I’m afraid.

I’ve been watching the post-referendum fall-out with a horrible sense of predictability. Very pleased (see past blogs) about the result, but who’d have thought that exactly what Devo Max means or necessitates would give rise to a row?

I think it was always going to mean trouble for the three main party leaders to announce, presidentially, a major change to the powers of parliament without consulting parliament. And the lines of debate are very predictable, and actually quite understandable.

Unless the Civil Service has been working on this for the last two years, doing everything from scratch by May seems reckless – it simply needs more thought (so a point to Labour there). But to give power to Scotland without a guarantee of changes in Westminster is also unacceptable (a point to the Tories). Mr Clegg – you don’t get any points, because you’ve not said what you think.

And thanks to parliamentary sovereignty, this parliament can’t bind the next. So Cameron sees the danger that an incoming Labour-led government will simply fail to implement the one logical solution which is (f**k, I hate to agree with Fat Dave) English Votes on English issues. Or at least no Scottish votes on them.

So where does this leave us? Cameron can’t guarantee being in power in June, so will want to get the Westlothian question sorted by then. Can he force it through? Will the SNP etc support if the option is delaying for a longer period? Will he avoid it being a total dog’s breakfast due to failing to prepare properly?

You may recall pre-referendum I called for devolution to a lower level than just England, and it is pleasing that many politicians obviously read my blog and have joined that cause at my calling(!) But I hope this doesn’t end up with us going back to regional assemblies and elected police commissioner-type things, with all the consequent cost. Let’s use the institutions we have and let them do more.

If there are lessons to learn from #indyref the top two are:
  1. If people feel politics matters, they can get energised about it – so we need to get people to feel parliament matters, or that they can make a difference
  2. (A prospective lesson) – don’t promise what you can’t deliver unless you want to unleash a whirlwind – either of open Scottish rebellion or it seems open English rebellion.

This country is like the hooker who used to* work Tooting Common – it spends most of its time standing at a crossroads. But this is a real inflexion point. We could build on the Scottish enthusiasm and create a newly engaged political system to last the rest of my lifetime. Or we could give people another reason (which they don’t really need to be honest) to be cynical about failed promises etc. And that is extremely dangerous.

People of my generation – maybe even of my parents – are now so distanced from real political instability that we think it’s not going to happen. This is complacent, and I believe it is wrong. This country runs a real risk of proper civil strife – not a week of riots around London. My children’s generation faces a crap job market, rising debt, unaffordable housing, and a diminishing benefits system. There’s not a lot to be hopeful about for a twenty-something with a student loan and a call-centre McJob.

These are the conditions in which revolutions happen. They happen for many reasons, but a key one is because the people do not believe there is any prospect of the system as it is delivering change. So that one the character emerges to lead the people they will rise behind him/her.

You may think I’m being a fantasist here – and maybe I am. But what we cannot do is take for granted that ‘the people’ will continue to take the same old sh*t indefinitely. And, even if I am wrong and they in fact will, WHY THE HELL SHOULD THEY??

So come on Fat Dave, Useless Ed and Slimy Nick. Between you, sort it out. You may be relieved that you’ve not gone down as the leaders who destroyed the union (because Labour must take a lot of the blame for not carrying the Union vote, especially in Glasgow), but you are by no means out of the woods yet!
  

*She may still – that is something I know very little about!

No comments:

Post a Comment