A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Sunday 8 January 2017

It's been a great disappointment...

I had assumed that staying off social media would be really difficult for me; it simply has not. Earlier in the week I had the complaint that the one thing I was missing was the collation of interesting articles from the Guardian that Facebook gave me. Turns out I can get a daily email from the Guardian that does the same thing. Problem solved.

So I don't feel that this is burdensome, or difficult. Not really a lot to say about it on the blog, so I don't think I'll bother giving you updates unless something interesting happens. What might be interesting is how I react when it turns February and the doors of Facebook are once more opened up to me. I'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment