A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Thursday 10 April 2014

Autobiography

Easter approaches with speed, and I welcome her with open arms. Not for religious reasons, nor indeed for chocolate. Simply for the chance to have a rest.

I am pretty tired at the moment. Pretty much everyone at work has been ill, so I've been waiting for the morning when my throat was thick and my head heavy. But I think the germs have been fighting each other off until today when I have started feeling very tired and run down.

I have been reading Tracey Thorn's wonderful autobiography, which I recommend to anyone - though particularly those who liked their post-punk pop like me. She has an engaging writing style, completely without pretension, and with a matter-of-factness which is I suspect, entirely genuine.

this is the third biog I have read in the last year, ad also the third I have read in the last ten years. Andy Kershaw and Danny Baker are the other two, since you ask. All great reads, and all people I tremendously admire.

The Boy Kershaw introduced me to world music. Danny B has a love of trivia and music that humbles me in its amazing depth. In fact looking on my shelves, I think (only think because books in this house are ordered chaotically, stacked on to of each other, and one behind the other) the only other biography I can find is X-Ray, the oddly told story of musician extraordinaire and Muswell Hillbilly Raymond Douglas Davies. I'm sure I have a couple of vols of Tony Benn's diaries somewhere, and a copy of Morrissey and Marr: A severed Alliance - maybe behind some Victorian ghost stories or something.

I suspect that anyone lower down my list of heroes simply isn't someone I want to read about. They won't grow with the telling and life is too short.

I remember at my high school we had something called English Enrichment. This was an extension group in today's parlance. A rebellion by ancient and old-fashioned English teachers who believed in stuff like grammar (and whose hatred of my use of the word 'stuff' even then, I now commemorate in the title of this blog). But who also believed in setting of pupils in a school where it was anathema (I am using big words today in case they are reading this).

One of the assignments was "write your autobiography". As a painfully shy (about) 13 year old boy in a class 90% female, who felt he hadn't done anything yet in his life (with I think some justification), that one was never going to go well. I wrote a poem. And since then I have been suspicious of people who write about themselves. There is the fish-in-a-barrel joke about today's latest sleb singer nobody "writing" a book, but they are just to laugh at.

Either someone is good at what they do or they are not, I don't want to know what they had for breakfast. In that way most modern biogs are very slightly less ephemeral and very slightly more monomaniacal versions of Heat magazine. Yes a biog of say Churchill would be different, but I'd read that to understand the history better.

So, when I do have enough shelves to do it there will be a choice one for the few people I think are important enough to read about. Not the Tracey Thorn one though, cos that's on Kindle!

1 comment:

  1. Actually did laugh out loud at the English Enrichment stuff. Keep them coming. Ania x

    ReplyDelete