A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Sunday 20 April 2014

Easter - it's more than just chocolate bunnies you know.

It's been nice to have a few days off. Not done a lot mind; went to see Sixfold playing in Forest Hill on Friday - which was really enjoyable. And since then have been to the gym a couple of times, done some paperwork and slept. All things that needed to be done, but lacking the wow factor.

But Easter is a time for reflection, so I guess that's OK. I am not a believer - far from it - but I'm not evangelical about it any more. There are bigoted idiot Christians; but there are bigoted atheists too. Most in either camp have their hearts in the right place and we should fight against dogma and bigotry regardless of source. I don't buy Christian morals and values or Christian generosity; I can quite easily refrain from killing sprees without feeling the hand of God on my shoulder. Most of us are good, most of the time.

So it was nice to see the Mail on Sunday today lay into food banks for being a soft touch. I am ashamed to think that we are in a country where kids go to school hungry. Where people have to choose between heating and food. Or ask at the foodbank for stuff that doesn't have to be cooked because they cannot afford the power. Could you find one person who has exaggerated a bit to get stuff from a charity? I'm guessing so. Just like people exaggerate their insurance claims or their CVs.

Many people must be hugely ashamed to have to go to strangers for food. It's not begging, but it's not far off. And foodbanks do have criteria, requiring a referral and limiting the number of visits.

Most of the foodbanks, at least in South London, are run by churches. This is an area where religions do score over atheists. Not generosity, but organisation. Churches have buildings and regular meetings - it makes that easier. It's just a shame that they have to.

So, as you unwrap your next Lindt chocolate bunny, say a word of thanks. To God, dumb luck, the invisible Pink Unicorn (Bless Her Holy Hooves), whatever you like, for the fact you are one of those who have enough to eat. And next time a foodbank is collecting outside your supermarket, but something extra and give it to them. Perhaps buy it instead of a newspaper.

Or give them some money direct - The Trussell Trust is running a drive on Just Giving for Easter. I did, and the good feeling lasted a lot longer than the one that the chocolate gives.

No comments:

Post a Comment