A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Saturday 12 April 2014

Poodles in China

Picked up tickets yesterday for Chris Difford & Glenn Tilbrook at the Union Chapel in November. Thinking of it as a birthday present to myself. Back when I was at college and trying to earn a few quid working behind the bar, the Squeeze singles collection was a fairly regular backing track.

I loved the wordplay of those songs - listen to "Slap and Tickle" or "Pulling Mussels from a Shell". And Chris Difford has continued that until this day - even naming an album "Cashmere If You Can" signals an intent in that department doesn't it? And I've decided this year that I should go and see my earlier idols while I still have the chance.

Number three son has returned healthy from a school ski trip to Italy, with, typically, the only injury caused messing about playing football. And number two son is just about to go off walking the Pennine way with his Cadet group (after going to Wembley to see Arsenal this afternoon). So the house is having some quiet weeks.

There are times when quiet is my greatest wish, but more often I miss having them about, and find myself talking to the gerbils instead (they are good listeners, to give them their credit). And at least I have an extended weekend coming up next time; I'm already thinking about what I want to do. Ideas via FB or Twitter please. As it stands, I shall be trying to start writing the book I've been thinking about for the last few months. If I don't do it soon, I never will.


No comments:

Post a Comment