A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Friday 17 January 2014

How should we spend £50 billion?

I did the Building an Ark line a couple of weeks ago, which is a pity, because today would have worked just as well for it.

The flooding down towards Brighton really mucked my day up as two of my three London meetings this morning got pulled because people were staying towards the South Coast. (Kudos to the guy who still made it despite having the furthest to come - who found a route to London from Worthing via Horsham, and other odd places, like Timbuktu or something.)

I didn't know until today that there is a plan to build a second main rail line to Brighton – known imaginatively as BML2*. I don’t do the Brighton journey often, but it is usually – to coin one of my dad’s phrases “hoaching ”. This is a plan that would reopen track that Dr Beeching took away and looks quite sensible.

Like many people, I am struggling with the £50 billion cost of HS2 for getting to Birmingham twenty minutes quicker - whatever Kojak thought. [Inset your own joke about how much you would pay not to go to Birmingham at all here.] And I see why all possible governments want to spend money outside the South East where they can. But it does feel like there are some great opportunities like this – more local projects which would relieve congestion, or open up whole new public transport options.

For example, there have been plans for years to extend the Croydon Tramlink, which have been stalled due to money. And yet this is a system that works – come rain or snow. Not admittedly come wholesale arson in Croydon in the 2011 riots but nothing’s perfect. And it allows people to get to and from otherwise very disconnected places.

So, dear reader, let me know. We have £50bn to spend on transport. Let me have your bids.


* The BML2 website also has a page called “Why avoid East Croydon”. Hmmmm, how long have you got?

No comments:

Post a Comment