A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Saturday 4 January 2014

I'm building an ark

The rain continues, and B&Q has reported a run on gopher wood. Also, whilst we do have two gerbils, the fact that we only have two gerbils suggests they are of the same sex. And what good is a future world populated only by gerbils anyway. We would need a smaller ark though, I guess.

I've left lots of return to work (and return to school) stuff until the last minute, and I now have to go out to sort out train tickets, collection of clothes from dry cleaners and first trip to charity shop with clothes (result of research- have gone with Salvation Army - overly and overtly Christian, but do a great job and I'm a sucker for silver bands and Guys 'n' Dolls).

So today's blog is being composed whilst waiting for a break in the clouds.

I can heartily recommend Martin Stephenson & the Daintees' 1990 album Salutation Road which is today's blogging soundtrack.  I don't know how to describe his music style - there are elements of soul, blues and gospel in there but also something definitively of the North East of England. It's like a less pretentious Prefab Sprout. (Don't get me wrong - I do love Paddy McAloon, but there are times when he tries very hard.)

Last night, I finished reading the last (so far) of the Game of Thrones books. I started these about six months ago as airport reading and, like other writing of this genre, it has at times been close to unputdownable. (Sorry, spellcheck - as far as I am concerned unputdownable is a real word.) Not watched much of the TV series, which I think is somewhat more, shall we say, graphic, but I like the way the books are written - with each chapter written from the point of view of a different character. They drift in and out of the story as events come to pass. So, whilst most of us think - "Ewww - fantasy" it isn't that bad. I do wish he'd stop killing off all the characters I feel any attachment to though.

As with many series, the books have got longer and more complex as they have gone on - so book six may prove to be a 2,000 page behemoth which a good editor could have got down to 500 pages*, but we will have to wait and see.

Anyway, a dove bearing an olive branch is tapping on my study window, so it's time to don the coat and hit Balham. Until tomorrow dear blog!

UPDATE: it has rightly been pointed out that the series of books is of course "A Song of Ice and Fire" of which "A Game of Thrones" is book one. Happy to correct this.


*Yes JK Rowling, I am thinking of you as I write this.

No comments:

Post a Comment