A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Sunday 19 January 2014

Lazy Sunday Afternoon

I woke up this morning (du nu nu nu NUH) .

No seriously, today has been one of those days where everything has been an effort. To tell you how lazy I have been, I had to plug the I-Pad in to charge up half an hour ago. Yes, without any movies or music, I drained an I-Pad battery in a day. I guess there are some days when you need to have a bit of a recharge yourself, and for me, this must have been one of them.

I've drunk lots of hot drinks, listened to some music - today's soundtrack is Loss by Mull Historical Society - charmingly eccentric, tried to learn some Britten (but I don't think it went in) read about half a book, watched some snooker, and talked to my kids.

Do you have children, dear reader? If you do, then (unless they are creatures born in the 2010s) you will know how they change so much, and your relationship changes with them. In our fathers' age, two of mine would now be working - and the third one only a year off. They would have had many of the responsibilities of adulthood, though I suspect fewer of the privileges. And, gradually, without that Damascene, donkey-barbecuing moment being apparent, they have turned into adults in many ways.

I never really expected this. OK, I expected it in one sense. But it did not occur to me that we could be talking about snooker, football, holidays etc, on a completely adult basis. And it's really lovely that we can. I am sure that arguments lie ahead (one very soon if the dishwasher hasn't been attended to by the time I finish this post) and their umbilical links of the two younger ones to my wallet remain as strong as ever, but it is a privilege for all of us to spend the day sitting in our dressing gowns and shooting the breeze.

Next week looks a pretty normal one for me - largely office-based, nothing exciting to do or expected, but if anything does happen, I'll be sure to let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment