A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Saturday 18 January 2014

Language - good, bad and foreign

The bliss of a weekend and a change of routine.

Today - some offspring delivery, and an early visit to the gym (always amazes me that they don't have paramedics on standby for spin-classes - looks like a short-cut to Heart Attack City). Since then, some music, some snooker and a bit of reading. Maybe a little potter down to the town in a few minutes, and then dinner and either more of a book, or a film. Nice and relaxing.

I'm reading a rather odd, and in places downright filthy novel called Pompey, by Jonathan Meades. He of the arty shots, acerbic wit and architectural pronouncements. A man with a fabulous vocabulary (and I love to learn new words) - and if there isn't an appropriate word he invents it. Words for today - "kine" - an archaic for cows - and for a car creeping round a corner a new verb to "tiptyre". The vocabulary, and indeed the sentence structure means this is a book I have to concentrate to read, but it is repaying the effort right now.  I'm rather pleased that whilst I have needed a dictionary for quite a lot of the English, I am so far coping fine with the French.

Which leads me to today's thought - I want to do more with languages. We Brits tend to assume we don't need them (usually correctly) and I suspect within my lifetime that computers will provide translation of 95% of what we need on the fly. But the understanding of another culture relies on its language - A friend of mine who has more languages than -  well than I do anyway - says that when he thinks in English it works differently to thinking in German - and I'd like to experience that. I haven't really spoken French since O Level - German since a couple of years later. I can manage pretty reasonable Welsh (yes, really) and "two beers" level Spanish. So, I am going to see what I can get in the way of free learning stuff on the I-Pad, and see if this can be another thing to enliven train journeys.

I will let you know how I get on. Right - walk time!


No comments:

Post a Comment