A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Friday 10 January 2014

Perchance to Dream

Miserably failed to post a blog yesterday. In fairness I have slept very little the last three nights, and I don't know why. Don't think there is anything on my mind.

I have these episodes about once a year - where for a week or two I can only get about 3 hours a night. Usually no reason, and they go as quickly as they come. As I get older I find it harder to deal with them though - I feel like death warmed up today. This is a pity because I am off this evening for a weekend of singing with Voxcetera - doing the groundwork for our concert on 20th March at St Sepulchre. I will get a lot more out of it if I am not yawning through it.

Plus got invited to do quite a bit of other singing stuff from March through to June yesterday. Have to see if the diary can take it!

Am not going to talk about last night's Question Time - with Dorries and some bloke called Nuttall from UKIP it was always going to be heavy on the irritation front. (I thought @fleetstreetfox was excellent though.) But staying tuned in for This Week only to find that the guest was Katie Hopkins was just too much to bear.

So, I will try to blog when mobile later while travelling; if not - well I will write them anyway - may just have to wait until Monday to post. Hope your weekend is as good as mine promises to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment