A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Monday 17 February 2014

Turner

Before I start, I was mesmerised this morning watching Randall Monroe's latest cartoon on XKCD here. Doesn't relate to the blog in any way, but do have a look, it is strangely beautiful - to me anyway.

So - a day off today, making a long weekend. Like to say I've done lots, but no. Waiting in for a delivery of flooring (due anytime from 8 - 5 and it's now 15:43...). Have managed to catch up on one or two domestic chores, and had a bit of a rest, and read a bit.

On Saturday I went to the Maritime Museum at Greenwich, which had an exhibit of Turner's seascapes. I struggle with visual art often - I struggle with a painting being better or worse thought of because it is by x rather than y, and on what 'good' means. But the little of Turner I knew suggested I would like it. I was surprised to find his smaller sketches and watercolours much more engaging than the big set piece oil paintings. The oils were I am sure technically brilliant, but the sketches seemed to have so much more life to them - particularly the ones of whaling and whalers.

Whilst in Greenwich, I had a look at some of the other exhibits. I guess most museums have to aim at children now, but there was little to engage an adult. I came across a small exhibit around the East India Company. This is something I know very little about - the Mutiny and, well, that's about it really. But this was a business, operating with all the effective powers of a state - with its own navy and armed forces. Exactly the sort of thing that people worrying about happening today as the power of the nation is seemingly eroded. A book has now been found and I will be working to improve my understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment