A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Thursday 6 February 2014

Thank you

Firstly, a very big 'Thank you' to all those who have read my blog recently, and particularly to those who have sent feedback or messages.

I spent much of today in Central London, and the Tube strike meant a lot of walking. I love to see London on foot - it is a city in a constant state of change - new buildings, demolitions, roadworks. I don't think it has the sheer energy and aggression of New York - we're a bit too nice for that - but it's still a fabulous city. Provided you can afford to live in it of course, but that's another story.

It also meant I got home a little earlier than usual, which allowed me to get to the gym. Astonished how busy it was at 6pm. So, feeling virtuous (bordering on smug), I can spend the night practicing some music, and then watch Charlie Brooker and turn in early.

This weekend I am going to see a couple of good friends' new band 'Sixfold' doing its first gig somewhere in Kent (it's not a secret - I just can't remember). And other than that, it seems like it will be a quiet one. Much needed.



No comments:

Post a Comment