A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Thursday 20 February 2014

The BRITS - a middle-aged perspective

One of the perils of spending time occasionally with teenage children is that their habits do not coincide with mine. For the two who are currently on half-time, this means that they are operating on roughly Eastern US time (up about noon - bed about 3am). The only problem with this is that I either have to bow out of interesting conversations because I have to work in the morning, or I come into work exhausted because I didn't. Falls into the nice problems to have category.

On the downside though, I came in last night to find them watching the BRIT Awards. Something that I had long thought of as in my past. I remember Blur dominating with Parklife, Chumbawamba v Prescott, Jarvis etc. But I have outgrown that. I had planned to sit and read a little, and perhaps follow the BBC2 Folk Awards on the red button, but plainly that wasn't going to be allowed. And yes, I could have gone upstairs and kept myself to myself. But I do enjoy the boys' company. So instead I turned into my father. "Call that music?" "Oh, I know the original of that one ...." And there is some real talent out there. Nile Rodgers of course. Pharrell Williams also. But some I didn't know. The guy out of Bastille can really sing. So can Ellie Goulding but she sounded like she was outside her comfortable rang, so there wasn't enough power to compete with a thousand drummers.

And there were some entirely expected things too. Katy Perry without Autotune is not a good thing. And rockers from Northern cities who try to be sophisticated and cryptic come across as pretentious wankers. And comics trying to satirise the whole sleb-culture that they are part of tend to die on their arses - even if they have sorted out their tax affairs.

So, as you can tell, I ended up getting into the programme - and even more so Twitter's reaction to it. Catty, unpleasant, roaringly funny - it provided a splendid backdrop to the evening. So nice to know that in thousands of homes across the country, so many of us are doing the same and thinking the same - from wondering why Lorde came dressed as Edward Scissorhands to wondering why James Cordon. (Not why anything - just Why?).

So I can't say my evening made me feel particularly enthusiastic about the state of British music, but British humour is thriving, and we should all be thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment