A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Monday 3 February 2014

Sick of being Ill

I recovered OK from my migraine, but have been desperately tired this weekend. And not due to partying hard - or indeed partying at all. Tired enough that I went to see the doctor this morning. Take a guess as to what he said:-

Predictably it's probably a virus that will clear up in a week and if not, I can get some blood tests done. Take some paracetamol if I want to.Which is probably right on a statistical basis, but didn't make me feel much better.

Now I'm starting to wonder exactly what my symptoms are. This morning it was just tiredness. Then someone at work asked if my joints were aching - 'flu-style? I said "No" - because they weren't. But about half an hour later, I thought they might be. Probably psychosomatic but you never know, I could be bedridden by this evening. Send sympathy, flowers, grapes or what you will.

So I'm trying to make my way through a working day which is dominated by meetings and calls with the US - with the concentration ability of a goldfish with dementia. This is a pretty normal working Monday, though worse because it's also the first working day of the month which always leads to stuff needing talking about. And normally, I don't like this kind of day, because the calls don't keep me hugely engaged, and I fell I am wasting my time - so I get bored. And, just to give a purely hypothetical example, I start doing something else, like blogging.

Given I have no brain power today, I'm just sitting here, struggling to concentrate enough that if anyone asks me a question I can answer it. It's like school all over again.

I'm hoping I perk up quickly. We have a tube strike starting late tomorrow, so I really could do with a bit more energy to go schlepping around London. Tonight or tomorrow, I'll be blogging about Hinterland - and other Welsh stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment