A blog by Ross of Penge (formerly of Balham)

I blogged pretty extensively during 2014 and early 2015, but got out of the habit. In the time since there has been a huge amount I've sort of wanted to write about (politics, terror etc) but I haven't. I tried several times, but anger and frustration about what was happening prevented me from getting things down in a coherent form. Given I couldn't express what I felt, and it didn't seem like it would make a difference anyway, I let it lie fallow.

It's now early 2017, and I'm back, blogging about my attempt to do the first month of the year without social media. After that, who knows?

And why gateway2thesouth? Named after a famous sketch popularised by Peter Sellers:

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign,
Lies Balham, four-square on the Northern Line."

I lived in Balham for 23 years - longer than I have been anywhere else, and it still feels like one of the places in the world I most belong.

Sunday 9 February 2014

Can't be bothered

There's been quite a lot of stuff going on in the world, but I am really struggling to raise the enthusiasm to watch it, let alone to blog about it. Winter Olympics, more rain, Royals shooting things. All a bit 'meh' really.

Yesterday I did go and see a couple of friends in their new band - Sixfold. Not bad at all. The venue had all the charm you would expect from a village community centre somewhere outside Maidstone. But the band has done enough work together that it was really starting to work as a band, and not just a group of players. If you are in Maidstone on the evening of 28th Feb, then a) poor you, but b) go and check out Sixfold at Bar 10.

Other than that, as the first paragraph probably tells you, I'm in one of my 'just leave me the f**k alone' moods. This happens once in a while, with no direct cause I can ever find, and it goes again pretty much as quickly, usually after a week or a bit less. Only identifiable precursor is that it always comes after a week where I sleep badly. But there are other times when I sleep badly and it doesn't happen. So you guess is as good as mine.

The main effect is actually just a sort of lethargy - it has taken a great deal of effort to even write this post. For those of you who know me well, if I say that this is being written on my new baby laptop, and I haven't even looked at it until now, all weekend, that gives you an idea.

Weekends are definitely the hardest time to cope with this. There are people to be nice to, and no fixed routine, so its easy to do nothing - which doesn't help. Come work tomorrow I won't be at my incisive best, but will have enough to do that I can get on with and it will start to lift.

So, lacking inspiration to write about anything in particular, I will I think go and read a book, and tune back in later.

No comments:

Post a Comment